Friday, May 2, 2014

Random Thoughts-May 2-3

Some random thoughts while waiting for the feeling to come back to my feet and fingers after practice in 40 degree, drizzling weather.

-Little League Opening Day is tomorrow.  I will not be there, as I have gameday responsibilities for ECA's Varsity Baseball team.  My daughter, the actual player, will be at Academic Super Bowl.  I will miss some of the ceremony, it is always good to see someone being honored for their volunteer work.  I think of guys like Harvey Cunningham, who hasn't had a child in the program the last three years, yet continues to serve as treasurer.  I think of George Zinich, who continued to umpire as long as possible after a health problem.  We named our Senior Field in his honor.  I think of Pam Burleson, whose youngest daughter is many years removed from Little League, but Pam continues to serve the District as Interleague Chairman.  We should name our softball field in her honor.  It is disheartening to see the same people working over and over to provide the day for everyone else.  It's for your kids and their joy of playing a great game.  Can't you find an hour a week to help somewhere?

-An absolute shout out to my real Home Team.  My wife is not a true baseball/softball fan, but she watched the games played by her children and hates to miss any games.  She tolerates me using her as a sounding board when fussing over the line up and my "play matrix", where I decide who will play what position in what inning.  The "play matrix" manifests my game plan.  She listens to my second guessing and just loves on me.  She works the concession stand because she needs to fill our requirement, and then picks up someone else's shift when they are short and during All Star season.  Probably told correctly, she would probably rather read a book.  She is a proud baseball/softball mom, who probably has five more years left before she can curl up with a book.  I will probably be umpiring or coaching tee ball.  She'll still support me.  I love her just because.  She love me...well I can't answer that one.

-Remembering Jeff Sluman's line about golf: "I hate this game, and I can't wait 'til tomorrow when I get to play it again."  Can you think of anywhere else this would fit?

-Hey, Donald Sterling, best wishes and all the best in fighting cancer.  However, being disingenuous isn't going to help.  You've earned your suspension.  Serve it.   At least you're more up front than A-Rod.

So...am I off base?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Resistance Bands is a Free Blogger Template