Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Good Bye

I am preparing for Senior Night at ECA for our softball and baseball programs.  Softball plays South Bend Career Academy tomorrow night.  Baseball plays their final home game on Memorial Day against Lakeland.  I am the father of a freshman, so this year is not as bittersweet as it will be.

I still feel the pain.  My high school didn't honor Senior Night for non revenue sports, so I don't even remember my final home match.  I remember being the only one of my team to play college golf, then spending several years as a golf professional.  My last competitive round was a cold fall day in Schaumburg, IL, shooting 80-76 to fail in another PGA qualifier by four strokes.  Those four strokes came in last three holes of the morning round,: bogey, double bogey, bogey.  I was 33 years old, a toddling son at home, and the need and desire to be a dad, not just a father.  I was incredibly lucky to play so long.

I wonder what will go through the Senior's minds.  Softball has four wonderful young ladies playing their last home game.  I've followed three of them through the entire school year: soccer, volleyball, and basketball.  Brie Lowe, Makenzie Colon, and Savannah Minnes played other sports, while Leah Lovan played only softball.  I wonder what they're planning.  College?  Work?  Work, than College?  Family plans?  With the microphone in my face, I get to read all about it.  Hope my emotions don't get the better of me.

I've been closer to the baseball players and know a little more about Tanner Watson, Kenny Bearss, Kyle Zuber, Jaxson Moore, and Jon Anderson.  Tanner and Kenny are continuing to the next level.  Jaxson is playing another sport at the next level.  I believe they know how blessed they are to play at that level.  It is a special thing to go to College and play.  Treasure it, remember the guys you played ball with.  The games will fade, but the connection of being on a team with someone who chose to do the same thing you did remains forever.  So do the jokes, the teasing, the pranks.  These guys are the ones that show up during the victories and tragedies that are in the real game of life, even if you haven't seen them since High School.

Seniors, how are you feeling about it?  Bittersweet and sad it is over?   Relieved to get to the end of it?  Ready to get on with the next step, or enjoying what you have left before it ends forever?

I have told Robby, my freshman at home, that when you're done playing, make sure you are done.   You will never get it back.  Life and the game are lived going forward, but only understood in reverse.  I hope all your coaches, especially the ones at home, prepared you for the real game.

It starts soon.

So...am I off base?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Resistance Bands is a Free Blogger Template