Friday, May 23, 2014

How To Teach Sliding

I'm writing this because my wife made me.  I told her to give me an assignment, and this is what she decided on.

It's difficult for me to teach this essential skill because I can't do it.  The hip injuries sustained in my tween years kept me from learning how to slide.  No one ever taught me, how do I teach someone else?

My first way was to have a son who taught it for me.  Both of my children have an ability to teach and do well with children.  He communicated well, a skill that has deteriorated with puberty, and successfully taught my teams for a couple of years.

So I listened, and tried to teach it this year.

I started with having the players sit on the ground, and make a figure four of their legs.  I explained that this was the correct position to get your legs into for sliding.   I have the girls take a fifty five foot run up and leap forward, crossing the legs in front of their bodies in the air and landing on the backside or upper legs to slide into the bag.

I can only explain so much, it's up to the players to execute.  To ease their initial attempts, I use cardboard slips from large pallets.  The girls slide on the cardboard instead of the dirt.  It's a good way to start.  It has been successful for the girls.

Only one injury in the last five years, and about a 50% success rate.  I like to think it's because I've had wonderful girls who want to learn.

So...am I off base?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Resistance Bands is a Free Blogger Template