Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Bustin' Chops

Tonight had a couple of the things that makes coaching kids great fun and great work.  We had a mediocre practice followed by handing out uniforms.

I generally organize my practices using stations for teaching, and then bringing the team together for team type activities like infield, batting practice with live play on hit balls, or team exercises with throwing star.

Tonight, we did a typical game day.  We threw, stretched, took gameday infield, and then our pitchers pitched to our hitters.  I was not pleased.  We forgot to cover our bases, and when we dropped a bunt, it was mass chaos.  Good thing my doctor prescribed Prilosec.

I started busting chops: not in frustration, but because I had to.  The young catcher acted like she didn't want to be there and it made for a couple of catty remarks.  I had to pull the two aside and address it on the field.  Two good players pouting drag the whole team down, and as a coach, I can't let the attitude prevail.

I have preached "Family" to our team.  We are a family, we have to be there for each other.  Families have squabbles, and we dealt with one...together.  I believe it ended well.

Uniforms arrived.  Kids love the uniforms, and my girls were no exception.  They seem to like the purple we are going to wear, (my daughter, Heather's choice.) and wanted to get a certain number.  I give the coaches players first choice, then by age.  Like a family, everybody worked together to get what they wanted.  It was a light moment, one I enjoy.

Had to bust chops at the end, though.  I have not been pleased, and I broke that news to the team.  We have been too lax in practice, not playing with joy and intensity.  I broke the news to the 9 younger players: you cannot be saved by the five run rule.

Eyes went wide open.  I pointed out that if we don't get three outs, there is no rule to save us.  We could go through a game never batting.  Eyes started darting at the possibilities, all seemingly negative.  I pointed out we had too much talent on the field, but we had to make the play.  We have to make the right play.

The girls responded the way I wanted them to.  We circled up, and they gave a loud "Family!"  Looking forward to seeing what we learn.

So...am I off base?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Resistance Bands is a Free Blogger Template