Saturday, May 4, 2013

Go day? What Go Day?

Saturday is Go Day in travel sports and Little League.  Tournaments, regular season games, practices are all on the agenda when school and church aren't.

Why am I scheduled at home today?

Travel baseball rescheduled from Saturday to Friday night.  Other coaches for my daughter's team are out of town, so this game is rescheduled.  An unusual Saturday away from the ballpark?

Probably.

I am scheduled to work my real life job in the medical profession.  The weekend crew around our radiology department is a great group of people.  They show teamwork, compassion, care, and love that is the ideal in health care.  I am honored to be among them.  I hope my work supporting them meets their standard.

Radiology technologists of all modes have a service related job.  The speed and the quality of their work is subject to approval or venom.  Like their esteemed nursing contemporaries, they are coughed, eliminated on, and thrown up on by patients.  Occasionally, they fend off the unwanted advance from inebriated patients.  They are cursed, berated. and, on infrequent occasions, praised by doctors.  Sometimes, they have held their own pee for hours, because the immediate needs of the job outweigh the need for personal comfort.

They tolerate my ball and bat obsession, and a couple of them are Cub fans, commiserating over a century misery.  They listen to the stories with a smile and a nod, even pointing to the common sense I missed in the situation.  They make the requirement of working a Saturday enjoyable by the grace and compassion I try to share when we work together.

Hopefully, you don't need us often. We are there when you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Resistance Bands is a Free Blogger Template