Thursday, May 30, 2013

End of the Line

My travel baseball team plays their last game tonight.  I won't even be there because my Little League Softball team plays at the exact same time.  At least we're in the same State.

I've enjoyed working with this group of boys.  It was challenging because we had a wide range of both ages and ability levels.  One player was eleven, we had a 15 year old who threw absolute gas.  The physical differences between the youngest and the oldest was stark, but they all could play ball.  It was just starting to come together and now we have to break up the Titans.

I thanked the boys for sharing their season with me after our doubleheader this past Saturday.  They thanked me for being there, for the batting practice I threw, for comic relief, for being a sounding board.  My role was to keep things rolling on the bench, but I'm not as hard core as might be wanted from a bench coach.  It can be too much fun.

I'm not as attached to this group as I usually get.  While they are still boys, they are young men, primarily because of the responsibilities of playing baseball.  They were learning the lessons you are supposed to learn: friendship, loyalty, teamwork, being on time and responsible.   It tends to make an adult out of you.  Major Leaguers in the making?  Probably not, but there will be some Major League Men come out of this group.  Of that, I am proud.

Al, Josh, Christian, Travis, Vince, Matt, Nick, Brian, Caleb, Trib, Jake, Grant, Preston, Brayden, Connor, and my first born, Robby are going to be part of what makes America great.  Hope I had something good to add.

So...am I off base?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Resistance Bands is a Free Blogger Template