Thursday, May 9, 2013

A Little Wisdom

As the youngest of ten children, my parents had a lot of wisdom.  It didn't seem so as I was growing up, but, like most people, I found out how wise they were when I really faced adulthood.  Pearls of wisdom were not going to drip from their mouths everyday, primarily because of exhaustion.  We were a bunch of hard headed Germans.

A few of the lessons they learned from raising ten children, running a successful business, and even from being salutatorian of large high school class got into each of us.  I'm sharing one of mine today.

My mom said the most important thing she learned from being pregnant thirteen times in nineteen years was "From the moment they are born, they are leaving you."  She explained, that precious time where their bodies are taking shape, they were truly part of mother.  Once they are born, everything goes outward.  The contrast between the two stillbirths and the miscarriage made this wisdom very real for her.  I'm sure for some of my siblings, it was bittersweet for her.  By the time it got to me, it was relief.

Today, my son takes on a three day class trip.  Many times in the past, I have been involved in most of his activities.  This time, I am staying home.  I never worried about him in tight situations: he always seemed to do well when it really mattered.  This time, I'm counting on it.

This fall, he enters high school.  His course and classes are picked, the plans being made for lofty goals.  Godspeed.

So...am I off base?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Resistance Bands is a Free Blogger Template