Thursday, May 16, 2013

A Rant

Another Wednesday night at the Little League.  In ten years, my family has spent a lot of nights around Little Leagues.  My son has played in every park in our District, my daughter is just three parks away from completing that cycle.  It won't happen because we have two leagues in our district that don't play softball.

I would like to say I am oblivious to the politics, but I've spent time on the board.  I've seen my son on the wrong side of the politics.  I've seen people use their children as pawns, a poor use of a t-baller.  I've seen people take talented players and leave for better opportunities.  I've done that myself.  

I would like to know...why?

One reason is Little League Paperwork.  The league paperwork is endless, all for the protection of the player.  From pitch count sheets to waivers for All-Stars to the paperwork to let a player from another district play in your league, Little League has done everything it can to protect itself from parents and coaches perverting the opportunity for children to play ball.  It still doesn't work.  Loopholes abound.

Travel ball has it's share of paperwork, but nothing like Little League.  You can play all the games you want and all it takes is money, time and talent; emphasis on money.  Playing for the right (or wrong) travel program gives you the opportunity to pay the coaches and the owner of the program for playing time that may never come.  Little League often becomes a world where the ego of a coach or an administrator overrides the point of putting kids on the field.  

The percentages are against a player reaching the highest level.  I point to the phone directory: the chance of becoming a doctor is better than becoming a professional athlete of any kind.  College scholarship is your best bet, but even that is limited.  Division I baseball has 12 full scholarships for 25 players.   Softball is usually higher, thanks to Title IX.

Little League is not the only game in town, but doesn't seem to act like it realizes it.  A place exists for both travel and Little League, but let's quit deluding ourselves about what we can accomplish.  Every kid can reach the highest level, but the odds are against, especially without freakish talent.  The best I am hoping for my children would be small school scholarship.  

Kids should play because they love the game.  Forcing them to play doesn't work.  Expecting them to play like Major Leaguers doesn't work.  I'm tired of seeing both extremes.

So... am I off base?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Resistance Bands is a Free Blogger Template