Friday, July 26, 2013

Whoa!

How much is too much?  When do you pull the reins?

I've coached players so far ahead the rest of the team, these become the questions.  I had two basketball players who were fifth graders among first graders.  It was like coaching George Mikan in the land of the Undersized.  My sincere prayer was not to screw them up.

Got to see one of them this past winter.  He still remembered me, and was grateful for helping him think big.  He's not going to be Mr. Basketball, but he could have a great college career, if he wants it.   Praying for you, Madison Yoder!

Madison put the team first and got the ball in everyones hands, even if it was a sure turnover.  He would cover that turnover with great defense.  It made me proud to coach a great kid as well as a great player.   He could strap the team to his back and carry them when it was needed.  I've heard his current coach wants him to do that more often.  Can't get him to do it because Madison plays a team game.

I had Antwaan Allen who was not quite the team player.  I got complaints about his defensive aggressiveness.  He was so far ahead of the curve, it was hard to take the ball out of his hands.  It was entertaining to watch, at a level where even espresso can't keep insomniacs awake.  Antwaan had all the Sportscenter moves and some passing skills.  It was fun to see what he'd do next.

The difference is that I had to pull the reins on Antwaan.  His play and antics would hurt the team.  When some kids don't handle the ball at all, I had to take it away from him.  He needed to learn to play without the ball anyway.

Got a player that I will have to rein in.  She is a wonderful player and way ahead of her teammates.  But she's hurting the team by being too aggressive.  Unnecessary throws lead to problems.  Softball games go to the team with the least mistakes.  Anytime the ball leaves your hand, anything can happen.

I'm not worried about how she'll react.  I'm blessed to coach a great kid.

So...am I off base?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Resistance Bands is a Free Blogger Template