Thursday, July 18, 2013

Confident or Good?

Do you have confidence because you are good, or are you good because you have confidence?

This chicken or egg scenario has plagued coaches since Troy decided it had to top Sparta.  It goes back to the days of Paul the Apostle, writing about running to win the prize. It goes back to Thag outrunning Grog for the morsel of food to keep him alive.  It is the essence of recruiting at the college level (and others): Are they really that good, or do they just think they are that good?

It takes both ways.  Players that are that good have the confidence from performing well, and the better do it consistently.  The best raise others in their level of confidence while maintaining their own.  The legends can do it for an entire team.

As a coach, I am always looking for effort.  Even if you're not really that good, great effort can give you the confidence to get to the next level.  I'm ashamed to say I've only had two or three players this year who actually dove for a ball.  I have one right now who will communicate and try to raise everyone around her.  She is a great player who has sold out to play the game.  I hope it is infectious.

As coaches and parents, we can't want it for our kids. We hope to enable them to unlock their potential.  Coaches are expected to unlock their potential, parents must unlock their potential.  I hope I am succeeding on both accounts.  I pray you are, too.

So...am I off base?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Resistance Bands is a Free Blogger Template