Thursday, July 25, 2013

NEXT!

Once, I heard a comedian talk abut next as the most exciting place.  Anticipation was worth even letting people pass you in line just to remain next.  Thursday morning is a morning of next anticipation.  We are anticipating Friday, which leads to Saturday and Sunday.

I have mixed emotions about that thought.  I like excitement and anticipating the next move: that's part of why I still coach.  But, if you're always anticipating the next moment, when do you actually live?

I have actually been trying to get out of the dugout in the past year so I could actually live.  I want to enjoy my kids playing baseball and softball while they're still playing.  Instead, I am still anticipating what's coming next and trying to put kids in the best place to succeed.  To stay involved, I would love to administrate and run a program, give the kids a place to succeed and learn.  I have had the plans in place, I haven't throw the doors open and done it.

The time is coming.

My hope is to be administrating a travel softball program to build up the varsity program at the school we attend.  The students will be made aware this fall, the execution coming this spring.  It will be a lot of work, but to be on site at games and not worry about line-up, defensive rotations and which players won't get dirty.  Enjoying my kids playing ball because a player's career is short enough.

I still love to coach, and the kids give a reward they know nothing about.  I am excited to have a positive influence, and to teach, something I trained for in college.  Timing and circumstances are not always overcome with the right attitude.  You seldom have the right attitude to make a lifetime decision right after losing a parent.  Another story for another time.

Hopefully, that is NEXT.

So...am I off base?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Resistance Bands is a Free Blogger Template