Sunday, June 16, 2013

Dad's Perspective

Today is Father's Day in the United States.  We honor the place fathers hold in our families and in our world.   I would like to wish all fathers a Happy Father's Day.

Fathers were part of God's design for families.  Men were placed at the head of the family, women as their helper and completer.  The children were under their guidance and direction.  It has worked well for thousands of years.

Within the last half century, a movement has tried to diminish the role of fathers.  Men have been portrayed as fools, with one track minds, and incapable of completing simple tasks.  The children live under the guidance and direction of their parents, and supposedly don't need that guidance and direction.

A few years back, a company provided free cards to send to mother on Mother's Day to inmates at a prison.  The prisoners requested so many, that they ran out.  They decided to come back and make the same offer and Father's Day and had few takers.  The influence of an active father in their lives could have changed their outcome.

I have been active in my children's lives.  At 14 and 12, I am seen in varying lights, as the rule keeper, disciplinarian, and coach.  I am considered clueless on cool stuff, and while I am considered funny, it's grown-up funny, not high school funny.   Like Bull Durham's Crash Davis, I'm supposed to give life wisdom and move them on to the major leagues.   I don't particularly care how they feel about it.  I am trying to provide guidance and wisdom, not be their best friend.  I hope they know they can talk to me about anything they need to talk about.  I hope they know I love them.

Roy Hobbs, the hero of The Natural, said, "A father makes all the difference."  I hope I make that difference for my children.  I hope I have a good effect on some of the other children that I coach.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Resistance Bands is a Free Blogger Template