Saturday, June 22, 2013

Coyotes Howl One Last Time

We've played our last game of the Little League season.  It's a sad time for me.  Ask any girl I have coached, I end up blubbering like an asthmatic seal.  I can't help it.  I fall in love with my players.

The Coyotes were a special and large group of players.  We had a wide variety of skill levels, a wide variety of interest levels, and a wide variety of ...well, variety.  It was a group that only lost two games and tied one through the course of the season.  For the vast majority of the time, they did what they were asked, didn't complain, and became a team.  In a Little League setting, that is as good as it gets.

Amber, Ashley, Bailey, Bella, Bridget, Camille, Cierra, Darci, Elena, Jo, Marley, Meghan, Tayla, Victoria, and my own Scooter, Heather.  I am amazed by your grace, strength, and toughness...that's just in the dugout.  The women you will become will do even greater things than winning softball games.  Hope I gave you something of value.  

Nick and Amie were a husband and wife team that gave me the privilege to coach.  I know where their two daughters get their fortitude and abilities.  Great teamwork always starts at home.

Little League should find a way for the kids not given the opportunity for All Stars to continue to play.  Their answer is Fall Ball, but prime months in Northern states are wasted.  Thanks to ESPN/ABC, too much money exists in the All-Star system.  Makes you wonder why the program was started in the first place.  

Maybe a sanctioned split season could be a possible answer, but the logistics would be difficult for smaller leagues.  Travel ball looks better because you can play as much as you want and pick your places to battle. Maybe a graduated system for travel ball could match teams of similar ability and keep the safety issues accompanying mismatches out of the mix.  It is up to the individual programs to police this currently, spreading trust to a lot of people.  Everybody wants to have the ego boost of playing for an elite level team, but not everyone has the ability.

So...am I off base?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Resistance Bands is a Free Blogger Template