Sunday, April 20, 2014

What To Do?

Any other coaches fret over where to play a player?  How about where to bat a particular hitter?

I'm coaching my softball team, first year as a major manager, and I've got some options.  I have a blank canvas, and the paints have a little of ability.  I'm hoping for a little synergy.

The decisions I make will be the catalyst, but what to do?

I have a young team: four 12 year olds, seven 11 year olds and one 10 year old.  It's a good group of girls, a group I will cherish having the opportunity to coach.  They are typical girls in the age group: at least one Frozen sing-a-long breaks out during practice, and someone cries after being hit by a ball.  We have four pitchers that can throw strikes, but not one dominating pitcher.  We will make some plays on shear talent, but throw the ball away more often.

How do I maximize it?  The substitutes need to develop, as a couple of them could outplay the original starters with a little faith and a lot of elbow grease.

I have a good group of parents.  Everyone is supportive at the start of the season while hopes are high.  After a few losses, will they still buy in?  Playing everyone equally won't win all the games we will be capable of winning, but it could develop someone for future play.  Do we need to win now?

I'm going to balance it all somehow.  A good coach will credit the players when they win and blame themselves when they lose.  I accept the challenge, and believe we have charted a good course.

We need to play good defense.  We need to be a family.  If we work hard enough, it will be hard to give up.

It's a hard job.  Glad I get to do it.

So...am I off base?


1 comment:

  1. Ahh Dave you are right on my dear coaching friend. That has always been the million dollar question.

    ReplyDelete

 

Resistance Bands is a Free Blogger Template