Sunday, September 6, 2015

Why I Love Sports

I have a son who used to love sports.  He played baseball the most, hockey pretty well, a little basketball and soccer.  I played a little bit of everything over the years, mosty recreational because the opportunities to play organized sports were much less in my day.  If I had been wiser, maybe I would be a household name.  You're right, probably not.

Still, I love sports.  They are a part of my life and will be as long as I live.  I guess the question is Why?

Did you watch Joe Montana take the 49ers down the field to win a Super Bowl, turning Sam Wyche into a certified basket case?

Do you know the feel of a perfectly struck iron shot?

Remember Dr. J setting up practice in such a way Magic had his jaw on his shoe tops?

Ever tried to hit a back door slider on a 2-2 count?

Three words: Spin and Win.

How about Lefty Mickelson and his imaginative short game.

The Intimidator lining up his next victim.

The Great One in his office behind the net.

Pele changing soccer in America. "Love.  Love.  Love."

The Golden Bear stalking a major.  Arnie still wowing people with his drink in his 80's.  The Black Knight still in better shape than most people as an octogenarian.

Barry Sanders breaking a long run by breaking DB's ankles.

The Dolphins making a dynasty the old fashioned way.

Petty making Daytona his personal playground.

MJ taking off at the foul line.

John Wooden and his rolled up program.

The point is they show what we can do if we work hard enough and use the talents we are given.  They are people, too, with their strengths and weaknesses.  They didn't stop when they got it right.  They loved it enough not to stop even when they couldn't get it wrong.

Do they fail?  Yes.  So do we.   Just a matter of getting up one more time.

I could go on for a long time.  You have your own memories and reasons you love sports.  Insert them here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Resistance Bands is a Free Blogger Template