Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Officially Working

It had to happen sooner or later.  The law of averages catches up with everyone.  It finally got to me.

I worked my first volleyball match as an official since the Bush Administration.  The first Bush Administration.  I called lines for Bethel volleyball's final home match in 1990.  The hiatus ended tonight.

I filled in for another official and worked a Junior High match at Jimtown.  They played Northwood, an occasional rivalry in the past that became a conference match for the first time.  Jimtown plays in the Big 11, which means very little outside of St. Joseph and Elkhart Counties in Northern Indiana.  It is, however, the biggest Junior High Conference in the area and encompasses most of the Junior High Schools in the Elkhart, Penn, Mishawaka and Concord School Districts, among others.  The quality of the competition is ususally pretty good.

Let me say something right now.  Nothing nasty was said.  No coaches yelled at me.  No players rolled their eyes, unusual for 12-14 year old girls.  Both schools were class acts and had good kids learning how to play together.   My partner for the evening, who I met for the first time, carried me. Amanda was gracious and helpful, and worth a lot more than she was paid tonight.  I am grateful to have such an experienced partner for my first foray into the valley of death in a while.

The first match, I was first official, the one on the ladder.  On the whole, I did well.  I crossed my signals up a couple of times, and couldn't remember how to end a set and a match.  Amanda gave me a gentle reminder and we made it work.  As second official in the eight grade match, I had a rotation check.  I am absolutely sure I got it right.  I caught the touches at the net, and had still struggled to hear the coaches call for substitutes.

I didn't feel like a fifth wheel.  I knew what was going on from one point to the next.  Didn't see any obvious or subtle overlaps.  Had a setter that wanted to move early, but she only did it once, and it didn't effect the outcome (they lost a quick rally.)  I didn't call attention to myself, and I don't want to.  It's still about the kids playing a game.  I just want to keep it fair and fun.

Will I get better?  Absolutely.  There is only one direction to go, really.  Was I obviously, noticably bad on my mechanics?  Maybe if you knew what you were looking for.  Did I enjoy it?  Yes.  The volleyball was decent, Northwood winning the Seventh Grade, Jimtown winning the Eighth Grade, both in straight sets.

I learned a lot.  I have a lot more to learn.  I just need reps.  More opportunities to work, to learn.  I have the next four Tuesdays, two in front of fans I usually announce for at Elkhart Christian Academy.  I have two High School Freshman matches upcoming, and I hope it goes like tonight at best.

I learned something else.  How much I enjoy volleyball as a game.  It is one of the most true team efforts you will find anywhere.  Sacrifice is rewarded, and building your individual skills only helps build the team.  It takes a combination of athleticism, speed of mind and solid hand-eye skills.  It is fun to watch, fun to play, and I can see how teams get to be so tightly knit.

Just follow the rules and don't make me blow the whistle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Resistance Bands is a Free Blogger Template