Sunday, November 23, 2014

Thanksgivings Thoughts

Thanksgiving has died.  Halloween and Christmas have killed it for the sake of retail dollars.

Willing accomplices are the generalized discontent of the American people and a changing view of life as a selfish venture instead of community experience.  We have become me.  I want it all, and I want it now.  If I have it and you don't, I'm better than you and don't you forget it.  Let me text it to you from my iPhone 6 to your iPhone 5.

Thanksgiving is a holiday that I love and appreciate.  The origins of the holiday lie in the gratefulness of Pilgrims surviving in a New World.  They were grateful to be alive and have clothing, food, and shelter.  Let's be honest: what else do you need?

Yeah, I'm not that spartan either.

As an underemployed holder of two college degrees, I went through a long period of time wondering why I hadn't been blessed like I should be.  Didn't I work for those degrees?  I am underemployed, but very good at my job.  I've grasped the technology and worked to change the position to match the need.  I handle large numbers of requests and help doctors save lives.  And without my wife's income, we are below poverty level.

I played golf at a high level: isn't it time I cashed in on that work and experiences?  Heck, I've played golf around people who won Major Championships and played in the Ryder Cup.  Isn't that worth something?

Those things are in the past.  Gone.  Like last night's pasta dinner.  All I have to show for it is the body that was there, occasionally feeling crippled from the effort involved.  The hip injury that ended dreams of baseball or football renders me lame for brief periods of time.  Won't be too much longer until I am no longer all original equipment: the hip replacement cometh.

The last three paragraphs have been written from the perspective of most of the changed world.  My perspective follows:

I have a job that I have performed well for most of the last 15 years.  While I have been under appreciated, I have kept roof overhead and food on the table.  We have always had clothing, maybe not the latest, but clean and modest.  I get to work around people who save lives, and I help them get the information to make that happen.  How blessed I am.

It has even allowed me to give back to my community, not only as a health care worker, but as a baseball/softball coach and even a Little League Board Member.  I even volunteer at school, providing a voice for our athletic events for the middle school and high school.  How blessed I am.

The experiences on the golf course have taught me all I need to know about being successful and provide perspective for the things I see at work every day.  The life-or-death golf shot does not exist.  Must-win games are just better if you win.  A life-or-death decision usually involves treatment options and quality of life, not anything involving a coach's decision.  Pray you never have to make a true life-or-death decision.  How blessed I am.

I live in a country that allows me the opportunity to do these things.  They are bought and paid for me by American soldiers over the last 238 years.  They are protected by first responders around the country.  I am in the top 5% of wage earners in the world: so are newspaper delivery personnel.  How blessed I am.

Contentment is a matter of choice.  I am content, not totally happy.  I still strive to get the best out of myself.  Bringing your best every day gets you the opportunity, and the government can only give the opportunity, not guarantee it.  Pursue the best and you have an opportunity to get the best.  It's an opportunity most of the world doesn't have.  How blessed I am.

So...am I off base?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Resistance Bands is a Free Blogger Template