Sunday, November 9, 2014

Irish and Bears...OUCH

They are two teams I have never liked.  Notre Dame represented snobbery to me as a kid.  The Bears were what I was forced to watch when the NBC 33 in Fort Wayne had the Dolphins Dynasty on continuous play.  Notre Dame was a Catholic staple, and I never liked being expected to love them.  I could have watched a decent football game, but my dad had to watch the Bears.

This weekend, however, I feel for fans of both teams.

Notre Dame lost a game, primarily on the efforts of one individual.  Everett Golson made a great attempt at a comeback, and almost pulled it off.  If he had taken care of the football, he wouldn't have needed a comeback.  Five turnovers on Saturday, two leading directly to touchdowns.  Three giving the Sun Devils short fields and 21 more points.   That's a hole Lazarus couldn't escape with Jesus' help.

Can he make plays?  Yes, exciting ones.  Can he turn a broken play into points?  Absolutely, and make it interesting.  Can he make a decision?  Not after a year off.  I find his decisions making poor and showing the year away.  After all, he is a sophomore on the playing field.

He needs to step back.  Let Zaire play.  He looked better to me in warmups at the North Carolina game I attended in person.

The Bears are just playing poor football.  Considering they were a sexy pick to possibly visit the Super Bowl before training camp, the 3-5 record and the less than scintillating play during the season's first half would be disappointing.  Tonight's start, a 42-0 halftime deficit to the hated Packers must feel like the bottom has fallen out.

Jay Cutler and Marc Trestman appeared to be forming a great partnership, and looked like a rocket headed to the top.  Cutler got a large contract, baffling a lot of people.  Matt Forte providing run offense.  Alshon Jeffrey looked like a world beater.

The Bears have done nothing inspiring.  The Bears have not shown great defense.  The Bears are disappointing.  Cutler hasn't done it, and I'm not sure the system is to blame.  It may be time to change quarterbacks.  The sooner may not be the better...Jimmy Clausen, from Notre Dame, is on the bench.  We've seen how that decision making is working out these days.

So...am I off base?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Resistance Bands is a Free Blogger Template