Thursday, June 19, 2014

Random Thoughts- June 19

Some random thoughts while wondering how I got myself into coaching All Stars...

-Lucy Li shot an eight over par 78 in the opening round of the U.S. Women's Open.  It wouldn't be notable except that Lucy is 11 years old.  While some girls her age are still playing with Barbie, she is playing with the best women golfers in the world.  It is a bit precocious.

I hope she wins the whole tournament.  What America needs is an inspiration for all those parents who are trying to force their kids to achieve athletic success that eluded them.  It's called a retirement plan.

-It's All Star time in Little League.  I am managing our 9-10 softball team, interesting because I have coached at the major level all season.  I am looking forward to seeing some of these girls that I have coached with and against within the last five years.  It's fun to see what I started to teach and see how it has developed.  It is a reward for me, and I hope the girls feel that way, too.  Stay tuned for future updates.

-Clayton Kershaw pitched a historic game last night.  He threw a no-hitter, struck out fifteen and walked none, but the game wasn't perfect.  It's still pretty good for a guy who pitched early in the season and then went on the DL.  He is the best pitcher in the game today.  While Tanaka has more wins for the Yankees, the American League will figure him out in the second half of the season.  Kershaw goes merrily on.  It will be fun to watch.

-Finally, I'm overdue in addressing the U.S. Open Golf Championship.  Martin Kaymer made it a personal tournament, leading wire to wire.  He was known for overthinking.  He didn't have to at Pinehurst.  He did all his thinking ahead of time, and just executed.  It was calculated and impressive.  He has won two majors: it could be the start of many more.

So...am I off base?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Resistance Bands is a Free Blogger Template