Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Random Thoughts-June 11

Random thoughts while waiting for the Sandman to show up.

-The more I watch Mike Trout, the more impressed I am with what he can do.  He has a total package.  His glove, the power, the speed, the arm and the good guy around the locker room and with the fans  is a rare combination in today's climate of overpaid backups and relief pitchers who can't get my daughter out.  He is a special player that could end up in a special place.  Injuries and a huge contract could be the only things that could stop him.

When he's healthy, I enjoy watching Matt Kemp.  He plays like the best players of my era, with a hustle of the players that love the game.  Maybe that's what separates these players I enjoy watching from watching A-Rod, talent and love of the game.  Isn't that how it's supposed to be?

-The U.S. Open Golf Championship tees off in the morning at Pinehurst #2.  Like all USGA events: Narrow fairways, hard fast greens, and impossible rough.  Harder than Chinese geometry, either Mandarin or Szechwan.  It's the kind of golf course that crowns a great champion.  Michael Campbell not withstanding, Pinehurst crowns Byron Nelson and Lloyd Mangrum champion of the North-South Championship.  Payne Stewart was a worthy champion, who never got to defend his title.

What kind of champion will Pinehurst crown?  I would love to see Phil Mickelson use the imagination around the greens to win the Championship he really wants.  I see a champion of another major getting his first Open:Zack Johnson, Dustin Johnson, maybe a recently rejuvenated Ben Crane.

I just wonder how the course will hold up when the Women's Open begins next week.  I believe the ladies will get the short end of the stick.  The wear and tear on the golf course form the U.S. Open takes a great golf course a long time to recover.  I'm not sure how the best women golfers in the world will have conditions worthy of their championship.  I hope turf science has advanced to the point where the most peak conditions can be maintained long enough to give the women the conditions they deserve.

So...am I off base?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Resistance Bands is a Free Blogger Template