Sunday, June 15, 2014

Father's Day

Father's Day is just another day to me.  I don't mind saying that because I am a father of two children.  The day means nothing to me.  The job is the important thing.

My son was born while I was an Assistant Golf Professional at a private club.  Fortunately, he was born in late October, when the golf season is winding down in Northern Indiana.  I had already committed to the following season, so I was off during the winter.  For six wonderful weeks, I spent all day taking care of our infant son and then worked part time evenings.

When the weather started to turn, I got ready for a new season and got handed the entire golf operation.  My boss, the head professional, left with a year remaining on his contract.  I kept the operations going, even kept it moving forward by opening some negotiations that had been closed for years.  I handed the keys to the new head professional in mid May.

It was a long season, breaking in a new boss, taking care of my members and working the long hours of a golf professional.  Toward the fall, it was clear I would be welcome for another season, but I became aware that my son doesn't know who I am.  Even those six weeks in the winter couldn't cement in that little mind that the stranger holding him was his father.

Focus on the Family had a show about how Fathers are needed to truly teach their sons to be men.  It talked about how God holds men accountable for their children.  Society is struggling because of the lost art of fatherhood.  Making a good income isn't enough.  Being a Dad is critical to the well being and future of the child, especially boys.

It was my last day as a professional.  While I finished the season honorably, I knew I was failing as a Christian, as a Husband, and as a Father.  I could not accept failure in those areas.  It was the day I became a real Dad.

I decided to be involved in my kid's lives.  I would get to every show, every game, and help with homework.  I would coach their teams, know their friends, and actually care.  I'm gonna make mistakes, but my hands will be on the project.  Fathers make a difference, and I was going to make a difference.

Am I doing well?  Time will tell.  I could do my job perfectly and still have a sociopaths.  I could do it poorly and have Ivy League graduates.  No guarantees.

It is still worth doing well.  Proverbs 22:6 says, "Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it."

Just make sure you're showing the right path.

So...am I off base?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Resistance Bands is a Free Blogger Template