Saturday, November 2, 2013

Some Random Saturday Thoughts

General random thoughts for a Saturday Morning...

-As a coach, I've got the notion of going back to t-ball.  I'm taking my 15 year-old son with me.  He's thrilled at the idea, thinks it will be a lot of fun.  I agree, but scheduling could be difficult.  He is playing high school baseball, which runs through Memorial Day.  He has also made a mess of his first quarter academically.  Still the idea of teaching some raw kids skills so their older coaches don't have to is appealing.  I may also have to manage a major softball team, providing my daughter doesn't play travel ball.  Lots of decisions, and time to make them.

-Wouldn't mind umpiring more, either.  I have always enjoyed it, tried to do a reasonably good job, and have been told by visiting managers that my job was good.  Maybe getting serious about it would be a next step.  My son has umpired well in the past.  Since he is not playing travel baseball this summer, needs to do something other than the video games that have taken his attention away from the field.

-As a Purdue alum, I am hoping to see a competitive game with fourth ranked Ohio State.  Darrell Hazell had the deck stacked against him by the scheduling to start the season.  Four BCS teams in the first five games?  Nebraska in game six?  Who made this schedule?  Bela Lugosi?  Morgan Burke, time to hand in your cards.  You were the Athletic Director when I was kept around the golf team in the mid-80's.  We'll give you credit for hiring Joe Tiller and changing the culture, but you also hired Fred Akers and Danny Hope.  Understanding that schedules are agreed to in advance, give Darrell Hazell some material to do his job.  He is a good coach.

-Major League Baseball did something right by moving A-Rod's hearing outside the World Series.  In the past, a debacle of major proportions seemed to appear during the biggest event in baseball.  I'm still waiting to see what A-Rod has for his defense in the court case.  They're not talking, and MLB isn't blinking either.  Someone has the smoking gun.  Maybe it is time to man up for a change, A-Rod.  Should be a first time for everything.

-The NBA season supposedly started.  Haven't watched the NBA since the end of the Magic/Bird era.  Maybe it's because of the athletes involved.  LeBron James used the word "I" 14 times as the captain immediately after their championship win.  Patrick Toews used "team" that often in the first interview after winning the Stanley Cup.  I'll watch hockey anytime.

So...am I off base?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Resistance Bands is a Free Blogger Template