Thursday, November 7, 2013

Bullying in the NFL?

Let's get one thing straight, as a youth coach, I am against bullying.  I have stood up to bullies in the dugout, on the sideline, in practice.  In a team situation, no place exists for bullying: it destroys team chemistry and discourages the kids on the receiving end.  I've seen players who wanted to quit because of bullying keep trying and become good players.  I've seen the bullies quit and become slugs.

I'm left scratching my head on the Jonathan Martin/Richie Incognito situation on two counts.  First, how do you bully a man whose job is to impose his will on an equally sized individual on the other side of the line?  Second, in the NFL, standard operating procedure includes veterans testing the rookies.

First, linemen in the NFL are large individuals.  The mindset drilled by coaches and perfected by technique required the movement of an equally large individual on the other side of the line.  A weakness in either area usually equals a bad lineman.  A bad lineman usually equals injuries, possibly life threatening.  No place for weakness exists.

Second, If I'm playing, I want that man next to me as sold out as I am.  I want to know I can count on them to sacrifice just like I have.  I want to know they will protect me like I will protect them.  While I don't condone it; hazing plays this role in the NFL.  It is generally harmless, every player knows it coming into the league.  Prepared, it serves it's role well.

If you are willing to take the paycheck, you need to take the rest: responsibility for your teammate, the cheering or lack of cheering, winning and losing.  Responsibility works both ways: if you are hazed, you respond by raising your level of effort.  If you are leading, show mercy.  Coaches monitor and keep it in line.

It sounds like all three levels failed.  Most interesting to me: why are many Dolphin teammates behind Richie Incognito?  Maybe Martin didn't respond: stand up for yourself.  Incognito definitely went over the line: racism never acceptable.  Coaches weren't aware or didn't monitor.  The Dolphins may have overlooked the mental profiles on both players, leading to the conflict.

Bottom line: Bad.

So...am I off base?

1 comment:

  1. Bullying is about a power relationship, not physical size. It couldn't have happened without at least the tacit approval of teammates and coaches.

    It also seems to have gone beyond hazing. "Healthy" hazing should at its core be lighthearted -- singing your school song, wearing ridiculous costumes.

    The type of hazing I've read about in the NFL comes from a place of mean-spiritedness and vindictiveness.

    Finally, I've not seen any evidence that you have to be an asshole to be a good offensive lineman.

    ReplyDelete

 

Resistance Bands is a Free Blogger Template