Sunday, May 3, 2015

At Least the Track is Open

Random thoughts while seeing how long sunburn can actually hurt.

-The Indianapolis Motor Speedway is open for practice.  Speeds were in the 226 range, with a familiar individual at the top of the list.  Juan Pablo Montoya, my choice to win both ends of the Indy double this year, topped the charts with a host of Penske and Andretti drivers right behind.  It will be interesting to see how this comes together.  I love the month of May.

-I umpired my first game on a full size (60-90) diamond last week.  Must have been credible bec I got compliments from both dugouts.

A couple of big differences between the 12U on the 45-60 diamond and 14U on the 60-90 diamond.  One is that the 12U has been playing on the small diamond the whole time, so I believe I will call a tighter strike zone than I will on the 14U, who are new to the full size diamond.  I called both tight and the 14U game was a lot better game, but would have been more encouraging for the pitchers.  They are all much more accomplished on the small field, but are still learning on the big field.

Second, the level of effort is much higher on the big diamond, and that is a learned effort.  Kids needs to learn what it really takes to play on the large diamond because they learned what to do on the small field.  They just kick up the level of effort and intensity as they go along.

-My daughter, the former softball player, will be performing with The Pioneer Drama Troupe in Anne of Green Gables.  Performances are May 8, 7 pm, May 9 at 2 and 7 pm, May 15 at 7 pm, May 16, at 7 pm, and May 17 at 2 pm.  Performances are Scheduled for the Greencroft Senior Center on Greencroft Avenue in Goshen, IN.  If you are in the neighborhood, please spend the $5 per person and attend a performance.

Umtil next week...

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Resistance Bands is a Free Blogger Template