Monday, July 14, 2014

Random Thoughts-July 14

Random thoughts while working on my excuse for missing my thirty-five year class reunion.  Hope it's as good as the excuses for 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, and 30 years.

-The World Cup provided entertaining soccer for it's month long run.  Didn't get to watch as much as I like while coaching, but what I saw was generally well played, high skill level, and entertaining soccer.  I might have run out of superlatives had I watched more.

The Final, however, wasn't exceptionally well played.  Two teams, deservedly the best, basically showed a lot of Maxwell Smart Soccer: "Missed me by that much."  One goal washed out by an offside call, Messi missing a tremendous opportunity early in the second half, and the Germans creating opportunities down the touchlines, but not much in front of the net.    Palacio's mishandling of a well played cross off his chest lead to an agonizing miss.  Gotze handled the cross to his chest and made no error on a play that left Romero with no chance.

The second half appeared absolutely exhausted, worn down by pressure and expended energy.  It took a connection by the substitute of a substitute (Schurrle for Kramer) to another substitute who had fallen out of favor with his coach (Gotze).

While the tournament is long enough, maybe a full week between the semi-finals and finals would improve the quality of the Final.  The complexion of the Final might have been different with DiMaria on the field for Argentina, and a lack of injury to Khedira for Germany.  More energy might have been available in the second half and the quality of play better.  It could have made the consolation match better soccer to have been played a couple of days later.

-Saturday evening, I said good bye to my final Little League team.  It was a bittersweet experience to see these young ladies, some I coached when they were approximately 7 or eight years old.  I bawled like a baby for the young ladies I will not get to influence further.  I hope I had some good influence, and we'll see what can happen.  After all, I coach for the game that starts at age 18.  Sure hope they win.

So...am I off base?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Resistance Bands is a Free Blogger Template