Sunday, February 16, 2014

Vroom Vroom

Since my daughter had her 13th birthday party meant six teen and preteen girls were at our house on Saturday.  Good time to go to the Chicago Auto Show with my 15 year old son.  We did this last year with a group, and went on our own this time.  Naturally, I have a few thoughts.

Next time, I will try to take a day off to go to the show.  During the afternoon, it was crowded enough that we had a hard time getting closer to the cars.  Sit in them?   Yeah, right.  It's actually why we turned down the opportunity to sit in a Maserati: 20 minute waits aren't us.

My points follow:

1. The sedans are popular if you are actually looking for something most of us will drive.  Mini vans and SUV are worth looking at for family use.  Sports cars are definitely the sizzle, and a lot of the 2014 models had the pointed, aerodynamic nose that would grace the sports cars, even on family sedans.

2. While the Corvette Z06 drew a lot of attention, I liked the SRT better.  It had great lines, wonderful door style, and looked more like a traditional sports car.  Made me think of the Ferraris and McLarens  that were in the SuperCar area.    I'm probably just an old stick in the mud.

3.  Cars seem to be getting boxier, except for the small SUV.  Every manufacturer seemed to have a small SUV with a sportscar body.  Maybe no one wants to be associated with a "Hamster Car"

4. Two questions:
 Honda- What was that concept car that looks like a dart?
 Toyota- What was that single occupant, motorcycle looking thing that has four wheels?

While the cars are great, the marketing and test drive opportunities wonderful, it is the best to spend an entire day with my son where I don't have to coach him.  As he has moved on to High School baseball, my coaching days with him are done.  I need the time to stay connected.  While coaching is a great calling, parenting is even more important.  It's why I walked away from my career as a golfer.

So...am I off base?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Resistance Bands is a Free Blogger Template