Saturday, August 31, 2013

College Football...AAAH!

It's said, depending on the company, that I am a baseball/softball guy.  That statement is only partially true.  I love sports in all forms.  While my knowledge of cricket is limited to pesticides, I've watched that when it's available to me.  The story of competing compels and fascinates me.  The phases of trial, decision, preparation, competition and repetition teach more than the game, it teaches life.

Forget all that!  College football's first Saturday is here!

Gameday is special, no matter where you studied. Whether it's The Grove in Oxford, Bear Down in Tuscon, or whatever the name is on your team's walk into the stadium, tradition is everywhere.  It's a fresh school year, the first hangovers of the semester still on the face of some of the student body entering the stadium.  Everyone is brimming with optimism: "This is the year Washington State goes to the Rose Bowl!"  "Watch out! Akron could bust the BCS!"  "If it falls right, Kansas could go to the BCS Title Game!"

I did it myself during my college days.  One of those years, Purdue was playing Michigan State, both teams sporting a 2-1 record in the opening Big Ten game.  State lead most of the game, but Jim Everett lead a comeback, culminating in a 21 yard field goal, giving Purdue a 26-23 lead with 25 seconds remaining.  The entire stadium as one started chanting, "ROSE BOWL!  ROSE BOWL!"  I admit, me too.

Kick off through the endzone, State ball at the 20.  Two incompletions fueled by tight defense started the cheer again with 10 seconds.  I stopped when I saw the Boilermakers in a prevent defense.  The only thing prevent defense prevents is your team winning the game.

Andre Rison found an opening in the defense until he was dropped at the State 48 and two seconds on the clock.  Ralf Mojsjienko, a German born kicker, came on to attempt a 59 yard field goal.  Why not?  His first made kick was a 61 yarder against Illinois in 1982.  I knew the feeling of being a Boilermaker from our opening game the year before: a 52-6 loss to Notre Dame.  It came back even before the kick.

The game ended a tie on their way to 3-7-1.  That's a long way from the Rose Bowl.

The game inspires that kind of loyalty.  People travel hundreds, even thousands of miles to follow the team of the school that changed their lives.  They brim with optimism early, and end up talking about next year.  It comes from the shared experience in a special place.  The first taste of freedom originates here, and it stays with you for life.

Even when Ralf Mojsjienko breaks your heart.

So...am I off base?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Resistance Bands is a Free Blogger Template