Sunday, August 9, 2015

Official For Hire

Well, it finally happened.  I passed the test.  I guess I am ready for it.

I passed the test to become a licensed IHSAA volleyball official.

Now that the laughter has subsided, I guess the time I spent umpiring this spring and summer got the better of me.  I believe I can do this and do it well enough to have a little fun, give kids the chance to play with a decent official, and maybe even get paid for doing the work.  It could be a win all the way around.

I understand that not everyone is going to like what I call.  Somewhere along the line, I will be called names that can't be printed in a newspaper.  Work around an emergency room long enough and it will happen to you.  Heck, it happened to me this week at work from a patient, and I wasn't even in the emergency area.  All I am going to do the best I can, show a little hustle, and keep the proper perspective, and it should all work out.

I don't think I'm ready for High School volleyball.  The last time I was officiating volleyball was during the first Bush Administration.  I can handle elementary and middle school volleyball.  I would love to have some games to get back into practice.  Would love to even do some intrasquad scrimmages to get the feel again.

The plan is to get lienses for basketball, baseball, and softball.  I look forward to the challenge and hope I'm good enough to do this for a while.  Since coaching is behind me, it is an opportunity to be involved, positively affect kids, and make a little money, too.

I can see recently graduated high school and college athletes using this as a way to stay in the game, get a little exercise and stay connected.  It can be a good part time job, but get ready to pay your dues.  I know I will.  It isn't easy, but anything worthwhile is going to be hard.  The hard makes it great.

Well, pass the word.  I look forward to working and learning.  Might even write about it.

If I'm off base, it's still my call.  I called it like I saw it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Resistance Bands is a Free Blogger Template