Monday, April 6, 2015

Random Thoughts- April 6

Some random thoughts while trying to figure out why I'm a day late with this week's post.

- A lot of eyes on tonight's NCAA Championship Game.  I had Duke, but not Wisconsin.  Maybe could have seen it coming based on Wisconsin's continued improvement through the tournament, especially at the defensive end.  Gotta wonder if Kentucky actually started to believe their press clippings as the tournament continued.  Their performance definitely declined as they got tested, especially by a Notre Dame team that should have beat them.  John Calipari knows how to work the system, so the Wildcats will be back.  Provided he doesn't end up coaching somewhere in the NBA.

-Not sure how I want to pick tonight's game.  I have seen precious little of the tournament, but gotta lean to Duke.  Wisconsin's staff can prepare for a game as good as anyone, but there is a subtle (or not so subtle difference) in having done it as often as Mike Krzezewski has.  When all else is equal, go with experience.

-Major League baseball is alive and kicking.  Might be worth waking up for in late July, early August.  Roughly the time the Cubs and the Astros are eliminated from post season contention.

-My season of announcing with Elkhart Christian Academy continues this weekend when baseball opens it's home schedule with a doubleheader against the Fort Wayne Crusaders.  Nothing like facing home schooled kids who can start practice pretty much anytime they want.  I also have the home softball games on my announcing docket.  By the way, I make a baseball umpiring debut at Bristol Little League on April 14 and 15.  I've done more softball than baseball lately, but it's always good behind the plate.

-Finally get to be the object of my own statement which I've made to every team I've ever coached: "The umpires/referees are going to be bad.  Just expect it.  When a call doesn't go your way, just play a little harder."  Me and my big mouth.

-Finally, a local note: Notre Dame Women's Basketball plays for a National Championship tomorrow night.  Five straight trips to the Final Four, but I think it will be a VW Beetle chasing a Ferrari when they face Connecticut.  UConn has so much talent and depth that it could be over early.  ND's best hope is great defense and a healthy dose of three point baskets.

So...am I off base?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Resistance Bands is a Free Blogger Template