Sunday, October 19, 2014

Getting Bored

I am getting bored with football.  Especially the NFL.

I spent this last weekend at two weddings within my family.  It was a wonderful time of gathering.  I dearly enjoyed the time with family.  Seeing young people commit their lives to each other is good for the soul and the mind.

While sports are a preparation for life, it shouldn't be a substitute for it.  While I still love football, I'm not going to live my life around it.

For example, I watched three quarters of the Notre Dame/Florida State game and went to bed.  My family wore me out, I need to rest to honor the Lord's Day.  After all, it's only a game.  The prattle around South Bend after the game makes me think that perspective needs to be examined.  It is only a game.  It looked to me like one individual was not on the right page of the playbook and got caught flagged for it.  Move on.

The NFL has gotten dreadfully boring.  How boring?  I spend Sunday Nights watching Downton Abbey with my wife.  Haven't seen a Sunday night matchup worth watching.  I don't even watch the second game of the doubleheader on Sunday afternoon because it interferes with evening church.  We watched the Seahawks/Rams in the early afternoon and that was won by special teams.  It was good to see Russell Wilson lead a great charge, but come up short.  Other than that, it was a three hour root canal.

Maybe the playoffs will be worth watching...

-The Royals, pegged as a team of destiny by a friend, now have a foil.  The Giants earned their way in.  However, Kansas City won 89 games, San Francisco won 88 games.  It will either be the worst World Series since the Cubs/Tigers in 1945, or one of the best most memorable matchups of all time. It will probably be somewhere in between, maybe closer to the first one.

I hope the Royals continue to produce the ball that has won five in a row.  They were so loose and relaxed, they executed like the regular season, even better.  Both teams had to slug their way through the Wild Card game, the best record in their respective leagues, and the hottest teams other than their own to get there.

My thought is that the Giants have a lot of playoff experience on their roster.  The Royals have had the best part of the week to think about where they are.  Don't think it will intimidate them at all.  I hope it is great baseball.  I think the Giants in seven games, but a Royal sweep wouldn't surprise me either.

It will be more interesting than the NFL.

So...am I off base?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Resistance Bands is a Free Blogger Template