Sunday, September 21, 2014

A Look Back

After a couple of months, I can look back with a little perspective.  It was a trip worth taking.

My brother, Bob, pointed out to me that Purdue University was planning a redesign of it's Ackerman Hills Golf Course.  August 1, 2014, the course would change forever.  I had to play it one last time like I played it thirty years ago.  Might not sound like much to you, but the old South Course at Purdue University Golf Club was where I spent every day when the snow wasn't covering the ground.

Let me backtrack a little.  From 1983-1987, I walked on to the Golf Team at Purdue University.  You won't find my name in the official records, I never teed it up in a tournament for the Boilermakers.  I don't think I ever got listed on the official roster.  But Joe Campbell, the golf coach at that time, held open tryouts and scheduled qualifying every weekend.

As long as you showed for your tee time, made sure he saw you every day, and kept faithfully practicing, he would keep you around.  Most students with a brain in their head would walk away after a couple of weeks, realizing that their hopes of cracking the lineup, winning a national championship, and going on to win a major or two wasn't going to work out.

For four years, I faithfully showed every day, even found the practice space in Lambert Fieldhouse and practiced a little in the winter.  I spent my time with West Lafayette High School's teams, coaching and playing with the kids.  I shot some good rounds, broke 80 a lot, and really learned how to play golf, listening to what was taught to others and then applying it.  Coach Campbell even learned my name and how to pronounce it, and I got to introduce my father to a PGA Tour winner (Joe won twice on tour.)

And I learned to play the South Course every day.  I learned where to apply those lessons.  I learned which side of the fairway to play from and which holes not to miss above the hole.  I learned how to size up a hole from the tee and use a strategy, even if I couldn't execute it to save my life.  I learned no putt was safe.

Why do it?  My parents spent thousands of dollars to send me to a World Class University, and I spent my time on the golf course?  You could have made a lot of money by spending your time studying, preparing for a career.  After all, isn't that what college is for?

I was built to spend my time around a game.  I was in love with sports from day one, and finally settled on golf because the hip injury left me nothing else.  I became good enough to be a PGA Club Professional, and worked in the industry over the course of six golf seasons.  I did prepare for a career.

I just didn't get to live it.  Never fully passed the PGA qualifications, and I had to be a father to my son and daughter.  It lead me to coaching baseball/softball, and pretty much anything else.  When I totaled up the number of kids I coached at the college, high school, and lower levels, it comes to around 400 athletes that I have been in contact as a coach, manager, or support.  A couple of the high schoolers I had in those early days in the mid 80's have become golf professionals, one even went to the Air Force Academy.  It's been my honor to be associated with each of them.

You see, the South Course at Purdue University was my Major Championship.  I wasn't supposed to be close to that good.  My high school coach even gave up on me with a week to go in my Senior year.  He had every reason to do so, but I wasn't ready to be done.  When I chose Purdue, I had no idea I had chosen the perfect outlet, and God had a plan.

It lead me to where I am today.  No, I am not rich in cash, but rich in experiences.  I am barely a household name in my own home, but I have been given the opportunity to touch countless lives.  I hope the good echoes through history.

All because of a coach named Joe, a plan God had, and the game I love.

So...am I off base?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Resistance Bands is a Free Blogger Template