Friday, August 8, 2014

Deep Thoughts

I haven't written in a couple of weeks.  I could have sat down and manufactured something that looked like a column.  I want to do better than that.  I want to bring something of value and worthwhile.  I may not always succeed in those goals, but I'm trying.

It brings me to some deep thoughts.  I try to think simple things around a ballfield and think deep everywhere else.  Critical thinking has made me good at my job, and we have some activities fine tuned well.  Still has a long way to go to be world class, but we're trying.

Locally, we had a tragedy in our area.  The Assistant Chief of one of our Fire Departments was killed fighting a fire at a factory Tuesday night.  Jamie Middlebrook was respected and well loved in the community of New Carlisle.  I do not know Jamie, and I offer my condolences to his family, friends, co-workers and the community.

NCFD is a volunteer department, so he obviously loved the job.  He knew the risks, and did the job anyway.  My friends, that is the definition of courage.  Courage will offer the hand of assistance when  it may get slapped.  Courage chooses to help even when the help is not deserved.  Courage gives of self when others are likely to take and not care that you gave everything.

We see it in Firefighters, Police Officers, Military and other first responders.

I find myself thinking about Jamie's last day.  If he knew it was his last day, did he do everything he would have chosen to do with that day?  Do we know which day would be our last?  Have we really given our best?  What will we be remembered for?  Did we make others better, or just use them to our advantage?  Did we love people and use things, not the other way around?

Do I like all my answers to these questions?  No.  Hopefully, you answer more of them affirmatively that I did.

In person, I tend to leave people laughing.  Not today.  I'm thinking deep.

So...am I off base?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Resistance Bands is a Free Blogger Template