Friday, September 13, 2013

Going Home...Kind of

It is time for a couple of trips home.  The first one is scheduled for tomorrow morning, the second one a week later.

I don't go near my hometown very often, even though I'm only 75 miles away.  I usually schedule three trips each year: around the Fourth of July, a fall trip, and Christmas Eve.  I don't believe there is a lot there for me now.

My parents have been gone for over 20 years.  My wife hails from the area we live in now, within shouting distance of the Golden Dome of Notre Dame.  I have nine sibling families, each living their own life.  Seven of them are close to the hometown.  We gather around the hometown and still see each other these three times annually.  It's remarkable when you realize the oldest two are past social security age.  It's not a close relationship, but it is warm and loving.

My daughter is running in her chosen sport of Cross Country in the morning.  The meet is at Columbia City, IN, which is reasonably close to my hometown.  An old friend has a daughter running from my hometown and I hope I get the opportunity to see him tomorrow.  Cross Country was how we met, and it's fitting the circle comes back that way.  They will run in the same race next Saturday at Ligonier, IN, and I will continue on home to play a little golf, gather with family.

I'm waxing a little poetic because it is comforting to see familiar school names.  It is great to see my daughter compete with the offspring of people I knew in another life.  I am excited to have some of my family see my children compete.  My children never met my parents and having someone cheer for them just because they're family is a unique experience.  I know I never got the opportunity.

I sometimes wonder what would have happened if I returned to my hometown.  Where would I live?  Who would I spend my time with?  Would my kids have the same interests?  Would I even have the same wife?

The past would be great place to visit, but living there is a bad idea.

I love my children, my mediocre life, my pug.  No woman in the world could look as good to me as the one I pledged to love, honor and obey 22 years ago.  I've no desire to look elsewhere.

So...am I off base?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Resistance Bands is a Free Blogger Template